Get your aviation career off the ground, start here

Find a course

Choose a Category
  • Engineering Training
  • Cabin Crew Training
  • Upskilling
  • Skills Recognition
  • Pilot theory
  • Pilot training
  • Aeroskills
  • Flight Attendant Training
  • Remote Pilot
Are you an Australian resident

Diploma of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering | Frequently Asked Questions

Can I study at Aviation Australia if I am under 18?

Absolutely, we accept students who are under 18, with the minimum age being 17.

Students under the age of 18 must nominate a parent, legal custodian or relative over 21 years of age as their student guardian. This person must have a visa to stay in Australia for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18. Alternatively, an underage student may elect to reside with an approved accommodation provider whereby Aviation Australia signs a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW). These arrangements which will support their visa application.

Can I get assistance with preparing and submitting my course application?

There are several international agents registered with Aviation Australia to present information on Aviation Australia’s courses. These Agents can also assist with preparing and progressing your course application.

Can Aviation Australia assist me with my Visa application?

Aviation Australia recommends that students refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for visa advice. Education Agents are also able to assist with the visa application process.

Please allow sufficient time for visa processing. A student cannot commence the course without a valid visa. Note: Aviation Australia cannot expedite the issuing of visas.

Can I work while studying in Australia?

Students studying in Australia on a student visa are eligible to work according to specific regulations. The Department of Home Affairs website details these visa conditions.

Are any payment plans offered?

Yes, we offer payment plans for both our Australian Program and Twinning Programs. You can find an example of a payment schedule on the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering – International Students page under the Costs tab.

What assistance can Aviation Australia provide to students settling into Australia?

Aviation Australia has a dedicated Student Services team who can assist students with every aspect of settling into Australian student life.

Note there is no on-campus accommodation at Aviation Australia, however, there are several student accommodation options available.

For further information, visit the Student Services page.

What costs of living can I expect in Australia?

An example of additional costs to budget for – accommodation, travel, food, entertainment etc. can be found at the following websites:

What else can you tell me about living and studying in Brisbane?

Brisbane is the perfect place to call home while you study abroad.  Find out more on why you should study in Brisbane:

What resources will I require for the course?

Students will need access to:

  • A reliable internet connection
  • A computer with up to date software including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player.

Aviation Australia will provide:

  • Uniforms
  • Steel cap safety boots
  • Protective wear
  • All required study resource material

Can Aviation Australia assist me with English language training?

Aviation Australia has a close relationship with many English Pathway Schools within the region, all of which can train towards the IELTS level required:

Do I get to work on real aircraft while studying?

Aviation Australia students learn technical skills by performing actual maintenance tasks on real aircraft in Aviation Australia’s own approved Maintenance Repair Organisation.

On campus aircraft include:

  • Jet aircraft – Fokker 28 and Boeing 727
  • Other fixed – wing aircraft including Piper Navajo and Beechcraft King Air
  • Helicopters – Bell Jet Ranger, a Robinson R44 and a Sikorsky S-76

Students will obtain skills on both large and small jet engines including:

  • Twin Rolls Royce Spey engines
  • Rolls Royce RB211 engines
  • Pratt & Whitney JT9D and JT3 engines

Will Aviation Australia help me find employment / On The Job Training after completion of the course?

Dedicated Employment Services staff are available on a full-time basis at the Brisbane facility to support students in their search for employment in the aviation industry. Students will have access to Aviation Australia Employment Services (AAES) for assistance with:

  • Resumes
  • Covering Letters
  • Setting up job profiles
  • Job searching
  • Job interview techniques

For further information AAES can be contacted at:

Please note that Aviation Australia cannot guarantee employment.  The student is responsible for securing employment.

Can I receive Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for a CASA licence outcome?

Aviation Australia may review prior learning and advise on further steps required to achieve a CASA licence outcome.  More details are available on the Recognition of Prior Learning page.


If your question has not been answered in the above, please contact us using the enquiry button below.